The Trail Head

Hiking the Continental Divide, Pacific Crest and Appalachian Trail

Rocky Mountain Life in 1841 by Rufus Sage

Excited by the prospect of a free Digital Public Library, I decided to post pages from Rocky Mountain Life: or, Startling Scenes and Perilous Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of Three Years by Rufus B. Sage. From an edition published in 1857 by Wentworth an Company in Boston.

Sage is thought to be the first white man to chronicle travels across the Rocky Mountains and Continental Divide. He traveled for three years, starting in 1841.

I obtained my copy from Duncan's Books and Collectibles in Arkadelphia, Ark., and subsequently obtained permission to publish sections from the University of Nebraska Press, publishers of the latest edition. 

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Below are the cover and first four pages on travels near the Continental Divide from Rocky Mountain Life: or, Startling Scenes and Perilous Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of Three Years by Rufus B. Sage. From an edition published in 1857 by Wentworth an Company in Boston.
Attachments:
Below are the next six pages of travels near the Continental Divide from Rocky Mountain Life: or, Startling Scenes and Perilous Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of Three Years by Rufus B. Sage. From an edition published in 1857 by Wentworth an Company in Boston.
Attachments:
Below are the next six pages of travels near the Continental Divide from Rocky Mountain Life: or, Startling Scenes and Perilous Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of Three Years by Rufus B. Sage. From an edition published in 1857 by Wentworth an Company in Boston.
Attachments:
Below are the final two pages of travels near the Continental Divide from Rocky Mountain Life: or, Startling Scenes and Perilous Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of Three Years by Rufus B. Sage. From an edition published in 1857 by Wentworth and Company in Boston.
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Larry Budd.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service